Saturday 19 May 2012

CAFFEINE JUNKIE

I've played very few of my regular tournaments in the last six weeks.  All the Hendon Mob events of course, but almost none of my 'bread and butter' $5 mtts.  Instead I've been spending my time and bankroll playing Mob cash on Genting.  I've always enjoyed the Wednesday night Mob cash games, but they've a new promo that adds an extra jolt of cards caffeine with the chance of owning 30% of all three mobsters, Joe Beevers, Barny Boatman and Ross Boatman in the December Genting Poker Series Championship.  (There was talk of a new series of picture books titled 'Where's Ram?' but he refused to wear the stripey shirt for the photos.)

These mobster cash tables are great fun with lots of banter and definitely lots of action.  But this is stupid fun for me because I have virtually no experience at Omaha or cash and I've yet to figure out how to have a good laugh and learn at the same time.  It worked all right when it was once a week because the rest of the time I played my mtt schedule and was quite happy setting aside a slice of my weekly winnings for my evening of hanging out with the boys.  Now, I haven't had a totally dry six weeks - a couple of weeks ago I had a decent cash in the Women's Sunday on Stars along with a couple of lesser hits, so my bankroll's not down.  But after this week's cash play it just hit me: I've gone off on a side road full of potholes and I've just spotted a battered 'DEAD END' sign. What am I thinking?!

I realized I've been in serious withdrawal really.  I had such a brilliant time in London beyond the GPS Fox tournament:

Playing cash with Monty (Pizzicatto).

Dim Sum with the Hoodie Hero Dave (DCSW7) and Evie and Darren(sprengers).

Railing Phil (DrOptheHammer), Nick (Ripple11/22) and especially Monty to the bittersweet end of his cash in the GPS main.

Playing a GPS side event with Dave and Monty and getting (yee-haw!) a Hendon Mob site flag.

Talking poker all the time.  Being with my tribe.  Each individual so very different of course, but it's definitely a tribe.

So here I am back in the Wesht of Ireland and the only contact I have with my tribe is online.  But my focus is wrong.  The online experience is like a cup of instant coffee.  No comparison to the espresso of being there.

So, I booked my hotel for the IPO.  And I've started playing the good old $5 mtt's again.  I've got my focus back and I'm doing what got me to London in the first place.  I'd love if I get a good run going and get to an event or two before the IPO, but that's the reward I'm granting myself for now.

I'll still play in the Mob cash games of course.  But I've reversed off that side road and I'm back on the one that has signposts to better possibilities.  Like another flag or two even.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=232628


No comments:

Post a Comment