Monday 21 May 2012

Nettled

I went out in level 16 (240/700 100 ante) ending up 113th of 234.  I feel good about the way I played barring two back to back hands early on.  (AK wtf?!? ... Ugh.  Go to the Hendon Mob Forum thread here if you want to see the details of this . http://www.thehendonmob.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43529)

When I busted, shoving pocket 6's from under the gun with 13BB and failing to suck out on the big blind's pocket 10's, seeing the standard peppy needle of the old pop-up box 'You have finished in xxx place.  Would you like to play again?' wouldn't even be a paper cut if it was a $5 rebuy - just standard MTT variance.  But because of my lack of attention to important detail - too focused on getting into a game, any game, as opposed to the right game - I admit I'm feeling the sting of losing 6 rebuy T's in a row (the equivalent of my investment in this one).  I'm reminded of the time I plucked a sprig of mint from a healthy hillside patch on a glorious spring day and held it to my nose to breathe deeply the lovely scent only to discover it was a baby nettle.

In fairness, the nettle incident was MUCH more painful.  But this event was twingey enough for me to learn this lesson: Read the entire fecking tournament description!  But also, I actually feel pretty good.  I really love the fact that tilt played no part in the tournament for me.  I'm quite good at salting my own wounds and so making things that much more difficult for myself.  But that critical masochist voice didn't even mumble "donk" once and I found myself really able to enjoy this tournament and focus on playing my best.  The only voice that chirped once in a while throughout play was the eternal optimist: 'If I can go really deep this would be a GREAT story!'.  Well, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment